St. Joseph Hospital is accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC), which is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving the survival and quality of life for cancer patients through standard setting. This promotes cancer prevention, research, education, and monitoring of comprehensive quality care.
The CoC performs the following:
- Establishes standards to ensure quality, multidisciplinary, and comprehensive cancer care delivery in health care settings
- Conducts surveys in health care settings to assess compliance with those standards
- Collects standardized data from the CoC accredited health care settings to measure cancer care quality
- Uses data to monitor treatment patterns and outcomes to enhance cancer control and clinical surveillance activities
- Develops effective educational interventions to improve cancer prevention, early detection, cancer care delivery, and outcomes in health care settings